Most folks find new products and services through digital channels, so marketing your business online is imperative. To that end, every company should strive to land as close to the top of search engine result pages (SERPs) as possible for their keywords and location.
Part of digital promotions is determining how Google and other search engines see your website and online properties. In the past, algorithms only measured links and keywords. Today, they still do — but also factor in things like page speed SEO. That’s where tools like Google’s PageSpeed and Web Vitals stats, paired with reporting programs like Lighthouse, come in handy. All three website performance optimization services are free and feature robust reporting capabilities to help your site climb the ranks.
Why Should You Care About Organic Search Traffic?
Why is organic web traffic so vital to any digital marketing campaign? Check out these stats:
- Ninety-three percent of website traffic comes from search engines.
- Google processes about 63,000 search queries per second.
- Forty-six percent of Google searches are for local services.
- Google analyzes over 200 factors before delivering what it thinks are the best results for you.
- About, 27% of users use Google voice for searches.
What Is Google Page Speed Insights?
Insights is part of Google’s PageSpeed suite.
PageSpeed Insights measures the loading speed of their websites. Google grades pages by using a numerical system, and the average scores fall between 50 and 89.
How is the score determined? Google considers various factors including:
- Largest Contentful Paint: How quickly a web page’s main content loads
- First Contentful Paint: How quickly the browser renders the first content, providing the first feedback that the page is loading
- Total Blocking Time: Measures the total amount of time between First Contentful Paint and “Time to Interactive” where the main content is blocked long enough to prevent user responsiveness
- Speed Index: How quickly the contents of a page are visibly populated
- Time to Interactive: How quickly a page’s contents are visibly populated
- Cumulative Layout Shift: Measures visual stability as it helps quantify unexpected layout shifts
Ideally, you want to score between 90 and 100. Receiving anything below 50 isn’t great, and you should immediately address whatever issues are making the site sluggish. Anything between 50 and 89 is considered average. But you don’t want to settle for the middle of the road when it comes to website page speed.
In addition to assessing a given web page’s speed, it also suggests ways to make the site go faster.
What Are Google Web Vitals?
Bots still collect data on backlinks, markup structure, and content — but how the site operates is also a ranking factor.
What Is Lighthouse?
Lighthouse is an automated, open-source web tool for improving your websites’ and apps’ performance and quality. When the program scans a page, it runs a bunch of tests and immediately generates a performance report.
Failing one or more tests provides valuable insight on how to change your site so it’s more appealing to Google’s search bots.
Website Page Speed FAQs
We field a lot of questions about digital marketing. Here are some of the most common ones related to website page speed.
How Can I Check My Page Speed?
Many services perform website speed tests, including Google’s free PageSpeed suite of tools. Since Google is the most-used search engine in the world with about 92% of the market share, it’s wise to use their apps.
Is Mobile More Important Than Desktop?
People check the Internet from multiple devices, including phones, desktop computers, laptops, and tablets. Resultantly, your site must work on a variety of screen sizes. Which is most important? They all are, but if we were forced to choose one, mobile should be your top priority.
How Can I Improve My Web Vital Score?
Are you interested in learning how PageSpeed tools can benefit your business? We’ve seen websites fly up the SERPs thanks to tweaks made due to PageSpeed, Lighthouse, and Web Vitals data.
Loading time is more critical than ever. It could mean the difference between landing on the first or fifth page. Get in touch with us today. The consultation is free. Let’s figure out how to get you where you want to be to grow your business.